Sunday, August 3, 2014

Attitudes to women in India - An insight from the GoAir in-flightmagazine

I could write a thesis on attitudes to women in India, but I won't on the basis that it's rather more lighthearted to write about our travel, and it's difficult to know where to start on this topic.

I do though want to share a couple of snippets from the GoAir complimentary in-flight magazine, provided for my entertainment for our flight from Ahmedabad to Mumbai, on which I am writing this blog entry.

GoAir (one of India's several budget airlines of which I am a frequent customer), seems to have shunned the conservatism prevalent in India in favour of material which I assume it believes will cater to the modern Indian woman (and man).  Articles include "11 reasons to worship your body (and his)", with each reason conveniently aligned with a specific body part, "The Oomph factor", featuring lots of scantily clad footballers' wives in bikinis and "vows and visuals"' for the discerning bride to be struggling to find a suitable wedding photographer.

I won't share any more of these gems, but instead with a couple of letters from readers and an advert, both written without a trace of irony.


I assume that K Gandhi and W Sharma are Misters but, even if not, I'm pleased to hear that they enjoyed the inflight entertainment.


If there are any housewives out there revelling in this new opportunity to enter a beauty pageant then please do let me know.

One of my favourite in-flight magazine items is from the IndiGo magazine (excellent airline, great branding), advertising for cabin crew applicants who are "female, aged between 18 and 25, at least 5 foot 6 inches with weight in proportion to height and a clear complexion". Again, this is deadly serious, but you have to laugh about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment