Sunday, February 16, 2014

Worli Fishing Village

I'm afraid that this blog post is very late, as I visited the Worli Fishing Village in November last year when Phil was in the US on a work trip.  I went to Worli as part of an organised "photo trail" though unfortunately took a camera with a full memory card and it was only at the end of the visit that I realised that none of my pictures had been saved!  Thankfully, I was with friends, one of whom has kindly provided her pictures to me so I can include these on my blog.

Worli is an area of Mumbai just down the coast from Bandra, although Worli and Bandra are separated by a wide bay.  Worli is though very easy to access over the Bandra-Worli Sealink bridge which connects North and South Mumbai, and the fishing village is only a short distance from the end of the bridge.

I visited the fishing village on a 2-hour organised tour, although it was perfectly accessible without a guide and, with the benefit of hindsight, we could have done this visit independently. The village was fascinating in that it did feel exactly like a village despite being in the heart of a bustling city.  The streets were colourful; the residents are mainly the Koli fishing people, the original residents of Mumbai prior to the arrival of the British, Portuguese and subsequent migrants from all over India.  Overall, the village has a prosperous feel and we were told that the fisherman generally earn very well, as seafood is highly prized in Mumbai.

The pictures below show yet another side to life in Mumbai.























 

No comments:

Post a Comment