Friday, September 6, 2013

Upholstery Indian-style

Our Ercol chair is an piece of furniture close to my heart, having been donated to us when Phil and I bought our house in Cambridge together in August 2009.  As we owned no other furniture at that point, it held pride of place in our living room for three weeks before our sofas arrived when, sadly for the Ercol, it was relegated to the corner of our bedroom for the next four years.

The Ercol, whilst not intrinsically unattractive, unfortunately has some of most hideous cushions known to man  We briefly considered recovering them a few years ago, saw the price of doing this in John Lewis, and rejected the idea in favour of a beige throw under which the chair has languished ever since (sometimes with an extra pile of clothes on top).

With Phil away for two weeks, I've been pottering about doing domestic things and decided to revive the chair and bring it back to public use.  I've discovered an excellent shop called fabindia, which stocks lots of materials in traditional Rajasthani style block prints. The before, during and after pictures are below:

 Before

Naked Ercol - not recommended

 Picking the material in fabindia

Finished result!

The total cost for 3.5m of material was approx £10 plus an extra £3.50 for a tailor to make these up into cushion covers. I picked up the cushions earlier today - I'm really pleased with the end result.

Here are a few more pictures of Fabindia and my clothing purchses from Fabindia and Anokhi; another shop with Rajasthan styles clothes, home furnishings and other goodies.  All the clothing is beautiful quality and comes highly recommended by me!  Anyone visiting from the UK should bring an empty suitcase if possible.

Great colours in Fabindia


 Beautiful bags and bedding
 
My purchases.  Anokhi supplies East in the UK so the clothes are a similar style, just at 20% of the price - an Indian / Western hybrid

My lovely new bag from Anokhi

No comments:

Post a Comment